Select Page

Accident in a Pub or Bar: Making a Claim


Find out how much your personal injury claim may be worth



Discuss a New Case

Contact us today by calling 0330 1332 857 to find out if you have a claim.

Pubs and bars are places which we go to and expect to have a good time whilst we are there. Most bars, pubs, and beer gardens are busy places, making the risk of suffering an injury, due to an accident in this type of establishment, reasonably high. Both members of the public and members of staff are at risk of sustaining a pub or bar injury due to the many hazards which may present themselves. If you have been involved in an accident in a pub or bar, which wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a claim for compensation against the owners or managers of the pub.

Common Types of Accident in a Pub or Bar

Pub and bar accidents are extremely common due to the busy nature of these types of places. Sometimes accidents happen in pubs and bars which could not have been avoided or prevented by members of staff. That being said, the owners of pubs, bars, nightclubs and restaurants have a duty to ensure that visitors to the premises and members of staff are safe whilst on their premises. This means that they must take reasonable steps to prevent the risk of injury to members of the public and staff.

Beacon Law has dealt with a range of pub and bar accident claims with various types and causes of accidents. The most common types of accident in a pub or bar which we have dealt with include:

  • Slips, trips, or falls due to defects on the floor of the pub or bar.
  • Trips and falls due to poorly marked steps in unexpected or poorly lit places.
  • Slips on spillages, broken glass, and wet floors in the pub or bar.
  • Injuries caused by defects on furnishings, such as broken tables, chairs, doors, loose carpets, uneven ground or stairs or defects in restrooms of the pub or bar.
  • Assault to pub or bar staff by a member of the public.
  • Assault to a customer in the pub or bar by a member of the public.
  • Assault to a customer by a member of staff in the pub or bar.
  • Illnesses, such as food poisoning, caused by poorly prepared or undercooked food.

If you have been injured as the result of an accident which has not been mentioned above, you may still be able to make a pub or bar injury claim. Contact us today to speak to one of our personal injury solicitors who will let you know if we think you have grounds to make a claim. We will judge all claims on a case by case basis before agreeing to proceed with your claim for an accident in a pub or bar.

If you have been a victim of an assault in a pub or bar, you may be entitled to make a claim for criminal injuries compensation.

Am I Entitled to Make a Claim for an Accident in a Pub or Bar

If you have been injured as the result of an accident in a pub or bar, you will have to prove that the management of said pub or bar was negligent and that their negligence was the cause of your accident and injuries. It can be difficult to establish negligence in these types of cases, especially since alcohol is commonly involved. Your case may be successful if we are able to establish that the pub or bar was to blame for your accident. Some circumstances in which a successful claim may be brought include:

  • Overcrowding of the pub or bar.
  • Understaffing.
  • Poorly trained members of staff.
  • Poor housekeeping.
  • Failure to repair defects or clean spillages within a reasonable period of time.
  • Failure to provide adequate warnings to alert customers of defects or spillages through the use of signs.
  • Lack of security staff.

You may be asked about your consumption of alcohol at the time of the accident. It is extremely important that you are honest when providing this information as any dishonesty within a claim could lead to the case being struck out, and you may be required to pay our costs and the Defendant’s costs.

I Have Suffered an Accident in a Pub or Bar, What Should I Do?

If you have been injured in an accident in a pub or bar, whether you were a customer or member of staff, there are a number of steps which you take.

  • You should report the accident to a member of staff or manager as soon as possible, providing all the details of the accident. You should ensure that the details are recorded in an accident book, make sure all the details are correct, and request a copy of the accident report, if possible.
  • Record the names and contact details of anyone who was in the area and may have witnessed the accident.
  • Seek medical attention for your injuries at the hospital or with your G.P. as soon as possible to have your injuries assessed and treated.
  • Keep receipts for any expenses incurred as a direct result of the accident.
  • Contact Beacon Law to start your claim, or to have a free, no-obligation, initial conversation with one of our specialist solicitors who will provide you with appropriate legal advice on your case.

How Much Compensation Will I Receive for an Accident in a Pub or Bar?

The compensation awarded for your accident will be split into two sections; general damages and special damages. General damages refer to the amount of compensation which you will receive for your injuries and will take into account any pain, suffering, and loss of amenity sustained as a result of the accident.

It may be difficult for us to predict the amount of compensation you will receive from the start of your claim as we will require more information and evidence on the type and extent of your injuries.

In most cases, you will be required to attend an appointment with an independent medical expert who will assess your injuries and provide a detailed medical report on your injuries.

If the medical expert concludes that you will require further treatment for your injuries, such as physiotherapy or further medical investigations, we will be able to arrange this on your behalf.

We will value your injuries and negotiate a settlement for your injuries based on the final medical report obtained from the expert. We will use recent case law and Judicial College Guidelines to value your claim.

Special damages refer to any additional losses you may have sustained as a direct result of the accident. These losses can include:

  • Loss of earnings
  • Travel expenses to and from medical appointments
  • Treatment costs
  • Additional care and assistance required as a result of the injuries sustained.
  • Costs of any equipment or adjustments to your home which you required following the accident.

We will carefully evaluate all cases based on facts before providing our valuation of your claim. We will then negotiate a settlement with the Defendant, and we will fight to ensure that you obtain the greatest amount of compensation for your injuries, based on this valuation.

How Long Will the Claims Process Last? 


The amount of time taken to settle any type of personal injury claim, including claims for an accident in a bar or pub, will vary greatly depending on the case itself, and the complexities of the case. The majority of claims can take anywhere for six months to 2-3 years to settle. Less complex claims, with less serious injuries, will usually take less time to settle.

We can request interim payments from the Defendant throughout the progress of the case as long as they have admitted liability for your accident and injuries. These are paid in advance of your settlement figure or the final amount which will be agreed. They are usually smaller payments and can be paid to cover the costs of your needs, such as rehabilitation costs.

When a final amount is agreed between the parties, the interim payment which you have received throughout your case will be deducted from the final amount you receive.

Why Choose Beacon Law?

Beacon Law are a specialist firm of personal injury lawyers based in Manchester, providing a friendly and professional service to all clients to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve. We have dealt with a large number of claims following an accident in a bar or pub, as well as many other types of Employer’s LiabilityOccupier’s Liability and Clinical Negligence claims.

If you or a loved one has suffered an injury through an accident in any type of public setting, please contact our specialist personal injury and care home claims solicitors today for legal advice and assistance on making a claim.

Beacon Law are a highly experienced Personal Injury Solicitor’s firm. We can assist you in pursuing a personal injury claim against your employers for a prison accident on a no win, no fee basis. We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Make a Claim

Contact us today to find out if you have a claim.

Use our Contact Forms or Call 0330 1332 857

Contact Us


General Enquiries:

0161 428 1234

New Claims:

0330 1332 857


0161 239 1072


Beacon Law

1st Floor

Shirley House

12 Gatley Road