Select Page

Claiming for an Accident in a Public Place


Find out how much your personal injury claim may be worth



Discuss a New Case

Contact us today by calling 0330 1332 857 to find out if you have a claim.

Slips, Trips and Falls

Having an accident in a public place can be a traumatic event. People often think that if you slip or trip in public, you should “pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and get on with it”.  Of course, sometimes an accident really is just an accident, one of those things that happen from time to time, but other times it is caused by somebody not doing what they should be doing to prevent an accident happening.

However, people who experience a slipping or tripping accident generally sustain serious injuries, and statistics show a high percentage of these accidents result in broken bones.  Serious injuries such as these are going to affect the person’s daily life.

If you have sustained an injury as a result of an accident in a public place, you may be entitled to compensation. 

Common Types of Accident in a Public Place

Accidents happen in public spaces every day; many people are injured as a result of trips, slips, falls, and being struck by falling objects. Many of these types of accidents are caused by someone else’s negligence and could have been avoided had the person responsible for the area followed the correct regulations and procedures to ensure the safety of people in the area.

The most common types of personal injury claims for accidents in public places we deal with include:

claim against the council for personal injury

Claims against the Council or local authorities for accidents on roads, pavements and parks.

Sports injury claims

Sports injury claims for those who have been injured whilst playing or watching sports.

occupiers liability claim

Claims for accidents in occupied buildings or premises, such as supemarkets, shops, theatres, or transport.


Who Do I Claim Against for an Accident in a Public Place?

If you have been injured in a public place, and you wish to make a claim for compensation following the accident, the claim will usually be made against the person who occupies or has control of the premises or location of your accident. For example, if you had a claim on a public highway, the claim should be made against the Council. If you had a claim in a supermarket, the claim should be made against the owner.

The occupier, owner, or person who controls the place of your accident has a duty of care to ensure that all users of the area are safe when using their premises. Most occupiers will have public liability insurance in place to cover the costs of any accidents on their premises.

How Much Compensation Will I Receive for an Accident in Public Places Claim?

It is difficult to estimate the valuation of a compensation award from the beginning of a claim. The value of your claim will depend upon the seriousness of your injuries and your additional losses.  Compensation is split into general damages and special damages as shown below:

  • General damages – General damages refer to compensation for your injuries. This will be based on your pain and suffering as a direct result of the injuries sustained in your accident.
  • Special damages – Special damages refer to any additional financial losses you sustained as a direct result of your injuries. These can include loss of earnings, travel costs, home care costs, and the costs of any medical treatment you received as a direct result of the accident. You should ensure that you keep receipts of any additional expenses to prove your special damages.

To find out more about how we value your claim, feel free to look at this section on our website.

What Should I Do Following an Accident in a Public Place?

You should always seek medical attention at a hospital or your G.P. for an assessment and treatment for injuries following any accident. You should report the accident to the person in control of the location of your accident. If possible, obtain evidence of the defect which caused your accident, in the form of photographs. Take photographs of your injuries and obtain witness statements of anyone present at the time of your accident if you can.

If you wish to make a claim for an accident in a public place, contact Beacon Law today. Please note that there is a time limit on making a personal injury claim. Claims will become statute barred after three years from the date of the accident.

To find out more about the claims process, take a look at this section on our website.

Why Choose Beacon Law to Assist in Your Claim for an Accident in a Public Place?

Beacon Law are a specialist firm of personal injury solicitors with lots of experience in dealing with claims for accidents in public areas. We provide a high level of service to all our clients and work hard to ensure you receive the highest level of compensation for your injuries.

Beacon Law is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We can assist you in making a claim for your personal injury on a no win, no fee basis. To find out more about our no win, no fee claim funding and legal fees, have a look at the funding section on our website.

If you’ve suffered injury as a result of someone else’s negligence or breach of duty, then please call us today on 0330 1332 857 to start your claim or complete our contact form at the top of the page to request a call back.

Make a Claim

Contact us today to find out if you have a claim.

Use our Contact Forms or Call 0330 1332 857

Contact Us


General Enquiries:

0161 428 1234

New Claims:

0330 1332 857


0161 239 1072


Beacon Law

1st Floor

Shirley House

12 Gatley Road