Taxi Accident Claims for Compensation
Find out how much your personal injury claim may be worth
Accidents involving taxis are very common and can often lead to serious and even life-changing or fatal injuries. Pedestrians, other road users, taxi drivers and passengers are all at risk of being involved in a taxi accident. Unless you were at fault for the accident, you could be entitled to make a taxi accident claim for compensation if you were injured as a result. Contact Beacon Law today to discuss your case with one of our friendly, professional personal injury solicitors.
Common Types of Taxi Accident Claims
There are many different scenarios in which taxi accident compensation claims may be brought. Claims are made against the party responsible (Defendant) for the accident. The Defendant in a claim will vary depending on the circumstances of each accident. The most common types of accident claims involving taxis which we have deal with include:
- Injuries to passengers in a taxi caused by taxi or Uber drivers. In these circumstances, we would be required to make your claim against the taxi driver. This may happen due to the driver not paying enough attention, a distracted driver, or a driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Injuries to passengers and/or taxi drivers due to the negligence of another road user, such as a car, lorry, van or bus. In these circumstances, the claim should be made against the driver of the other vehicle and their insurance company,
- Injuries to other road users caused by the negligence of the taxi driver. In these circumstances, the claim should be made against the taxi driver/ their insurance company.
- Injuries to passengers in a taxi caused by defects in the taxi, such as defective door handles, sharp edges, or things sticking out of seats.
- Injuries to pedestrians being hit by a taxi.
Regardless of your accident circumstances, if you were injured as the result of an accident involving a taxi, you should be entitled to make a taxi accident claim for your accident injuries as long as the accident was not your fault.
Common Types of Injuries Sustained in a Taxi Accident
There are many different types of injuries that can occur in a taxi accident. The severity of the injury will usually correlate with the seriousness of the accident. The best way to minimise your risk of injury whilst travelling in a taxi or any other type of vehicle is by wearing a seatbelt. The most common types of injuries in taxi accident claims which we have dealt with include:
- Whiplash injuries
- Crush injuries
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Strains, sprains and lacerations
- Fractured and broken bones
- PTSD and other psychiatric injuries
I Have Been Injured in a Taxi Accident, What Should I Do?
If you have been involved in any sort of road traffic accident involving a taxi, there are some things which you should do:
- Report the incident to the local authority. Try to stay calm and remain at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain the taxi driver’s contact details, company details, taxi registration number and the license number on the taxi.
- Obtain the contact details and vehicle registration details of all other vehicles and parties involved in the accident.
- If possible, take photographs of the scene of the accident.
- Report the details of the accident to the taxi company, regardless of who was at fault.
- Seek medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible to have them assessed and treated.
- If you wish to discuss making a taxi accident claim, contact Beacon Law on 0330 1332 857 or fill in one of the forms on our website. One of our specialist personal injury lawyers will be in touch to discuss your case and the claims process with you.
Taxi Collisions with Uninsured or Untraceable Drivers
If you have been injured in a taxi accident or collision which involved an uninsured driver or a hit and run driver, you may still be able to make a claim. The process for this will be slightly different as these types of claims will usually be processed through the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB). For more information on these types of claims, have a look at this section on our website.
Taxi Accident Claims: How Much Compensation Will You Receive?
We are unable to make a valuation on the compensation amount you will receive from the beginning of the claim. Compensation for taxi accident claims is split into general damages for your injuries and special damages for any additional losses.
The level of general damages you receive will be based on your pain, suffering and loss of amenity. The valuation of your general damages will be based on the type and severity of the injury sustained. Personal Injury compensation can be anything from £1,000 to £100,000 (or more), depending on the seriousness of the injuries suffered. It is, therefore, very difficult to assess the level of damages you may be entitled to without first assessing your injuries and your case in detail.
You may be required to attend an appointment with an independent medical expert who will assess your injuries and provide a detailed report on the severity of your injuries and any further treatment which may be required.
You will also be able to make a claim for special damages, which covers any additional losses you sustained as a result of the accident. These can include:
- Loss of earnings for any time taken off work as a result of the sustained injuries.
- Medical treatment costs.
- Travel costs for journeys to and from appointments.
- Compensation for additional care and assistance required as a result of your injuries – either paid or unpaid.
Time limits for taxi accident claims
Before starting your claim for compensation, it is important to note that there are strict time limits on personal injury claims. From the date of the accident that caused the injuries, the injured party will have 3 years in which to commence proceedings for claiming compensation.
It must be noted, however, that there are some exceptions to this rule:
For example, if the claimant was under the age of 18 at the time of the incident, they have until their 21st birthday to make their compensation claim. In the meantime, provided that the claimant is still under the age of 18, a litigation friend such as a parent, guardian, or close family member could claim compensation on their behalf.
Another exception to the 3 year time limit occurs when the claimant who has suffered an injury doesn’t have the mental capacity to begin their compensation claim. Rather than being limited to making a claim within 3 years from the date of the incident, the claimant is entitled to begin their compensation claim at any moment in time once they regain the mental capacity to do so.
How Long Will the Taxi Accident Claims Process Last?
The amount of time taken to settle any type of personal injury claim, including taxi accident claims, varies greatly depending on the case itself and the complexities of the case. The majority of claims can take anywhere from six months to 2-3 years to settle. Less complex claims, with less serious injuries, usually take less time to settle.
We can request interim payments from the Defendant throughout the progress of the case as long as they have admitted liability for your accident and injuries. These are paid in advance of your settlement figure or the final amount, which will be agreed. They are usually smaller payments and can be paid to cover the costs of your needs, such as rehabilitation costs.
When a final amount is agreed between the parties, the interim payment that you have received throughout your case will be deducted from the final amount you receive.
How Much do Taxi Accident Claims Cost?
Making a taxi accident claim should not leave you out of pocket. At Beacon Law, we act on all of our claims on a ‘no win no fee’ basis. This means that you will not be required to pay anything upfront. The only requirement to this no win no fee agreement is that you are honest throughout your case and that you cooperate fully with us.
If your case fails, you won’t have to pay us anything. If your claim is successful, our success fees will be deducted from your final amount of compensation at the end of your claim.
Why Choose Beacon Law to Assist With Your Taxi Accident Claim for Compensation?
Beacon Law is a Manchester law firm with a great reputation for providing exceptional service to all of our clients. Our specialist solicitors and legal professionals have years of experience in handling all types of personal injury claims. We have experience in dealing with taxi accident claims for compensation and all other types of road traffic accidents and occupiers liability claims. We can guide you through every step of the way when claiming taxi accident compensation.
We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and can provide you with the legal advice you require as your personal injury lawyer.
If you require our assistance or wish to discuss your case based on its own facts, please complete the online contact form on our website, and a specialist Solicitor will contact you. Alternatively, you may call us on 0330 1332 857 to discuss your potential case.