People often think that if you slip or trip in a public place, you should “pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and get on with it”. Of course, sometimes an accident really is just an accident, one of those things that happen from time to time, but other times it is caused by somebody not doing what they should be doing to prevent an accident happening.
In reality however, people who experience a slipping or tripping accident generally sustain serious injuries, and statistics show a high percentage of these accidents result in broken bones. Serious injuries such as these are going to effect the person’s daily life.
What should I do if I have an accident in public?
If you are unfortunate enough to suffer an accident in a public place, we would advise that you take the following steps:
- If the accident occurs in a shop or other public building, the incident should be reported to a manager or other person in authority.
- Ensure the circumstances of the accident are properly recorded in the company’s accident report book.
- Take photographs of the accident location and whatever caused your accident, using an object, preferably a ruler to show the size of any defect.
- Whilst the accident is still fresh in your mind, make a written record of the accident circumstances, draw a comprehensive sketch plan to include the accident location, the presence of any warning signs, and the position of any witnesses.
- Obtain the contact details of any witnesses who may have seen the incident happen.
- Make enquiries to establish whether any similar incidents have occurred at that location.
- Make an appointment with your GP in order to receive medical advice.
Both public and private organisations are under a duty to ensure that their premises are safe. Equally, local authorities must maintain a high level of safety on their pavements and public highways. Time and again these safety standards are not maintained, and legitimate accidents can occur as a result.
It must be said that this is one of the most difficult types of claim to win. However, if you have been injured as a result of a slip or trip, then please do contact us for advice as you may well be entitled to claim compensation. We will assess each and every case individually and advise you whether we believe your prospects of success are good. So please call us free today on 08000 886644 or complete our claim form and we’ll call you back.